Wednesday, July 15, 2009

If I'm in neutral, will I go anywhere?

Have you ever tried to not think? Well, not in the “I am not going to think about anything” type of way, but not allowing yourself to consciously process thoughts?

They say it is like being the watcher of the thinking mind, rather than being the thinker. You recognise the thought, then dismiss it, leaving your mind free, rather than embroiled in self-talk.

It takes some practice, and yes, discipline, but it allows your brain to switch from being in gear to spinning in neutral. It's not often mine does that.

Breathe.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of that sort of funny saying: "Have you ever stopped to think...and then forgot to start again?" I complain all the time that my mind never switches off. Sometimes it's a wonderful thing. Other times I just want to escape. Someway, somehow. Always wondered how, would love tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great explanation in Eckhardt Tolle's books A New Earth and The Power of Now. It takes so much discipline to live like that, but the mindful meditation components are really useful. I actually am not sure how he is able to live like that all the time, letting rip in anger is quite therapeutic too ;)

    This has been a bit of theme for me lately, a wee journey of self discovery. Has been a fun, (read as challenging) ride.

    I will post something soon about understanding your life preferences and how you interact with the world. Knowing what mine were, and what things or activities I needed to do in order to disengage, was so extremely beneficial.

    ReplyDelete