Monday, August 10, 2009

Seven Seeds

With subtle branding on a painted wall and a feature timber door being all that is used to signify the location of this cafe, it would be easy to miss it. Make no mistake, your trip inside Seven Seeds will be rewarded.

Once inside, you are greeted by a generous bike parking space, with floor and wall racks to park your steed, should you have chosen that as your mode of transport. The interior has an industrious, open, yet inviting feel. Although premium fixtures are not a feature of this cafe, it is comfortable, warm and gives a sense that you are here for something far more important. Coffee.

These guys source their own green coffee from around the globe, concentrating on estate, micro lot and single origin coffees. With onsite roasting facilities, they mean business when it comes to a caffeinated beverage.

The workspace is open, clean and visible. The baristas and staff are friendly, efficient and make the experience pleasant, without being overbearing.

You can take your choice of seats at the bar, smaller tables of 2’s and 4’s, or pull up a seat at the communal table and share the space. Ceiling gas heaters provide ample warmth on what was a cool day for this visit. Even with the concrete floors, high exposed ceilings and hard fixtures, it was a very pleasant temperature inside.

Their food menu is simple and uncomplicated. Assorted pastries, pressed sandwiches, quality grain toasts and accompaniments, that all support a casual, relaxed theme. The food looked and smelled great, unusually for me, I didn’t eat, as I was there for the coffee. Needless to say, food service was handled quickly and without fuss, again providing the feeling that their concentration was directed towards the bean.

The coffee was magnificent. All brews that left the service area were made with consistent care, and a subtle flair of coffee art. This particular day, I had a short macchiato and hands down, it was the best coffee I have had in Melbourne. Strong, smooth and rich, a perfect temperature and combination of espresso and creamy milk. I followed this by a staff recommended Aricha espresso, their coffee of the day. It was also excellent.

Upon paying the bill, I was told of the regular Saturday morning cupping sessions they hold on premises, educating their customer on their coffee selections and characteristics. Now I must confess, I like coffee a lot. I’m sure I’ll get along to a cupping session, although I am in no hurry for that.

The most important thing I look for, is a place that will deliver a consistent, high quality brew. At Seven Seeds, I am confident of enjoying the experience every time I step through the door.

- See more reviews here

No comments:

Post a Comment